Ask an Expert about skin care
To ensure your Spa Brands journey is flawless at every stage we encourage you to contact our team of professionals with any questions regarding Spa Brands products and your skincare needs. Our team of Spa Brands experts are on hand to provide reassurance on which Rafae products would best suit your spa or skin type; how to use these products to maximise their full benefits, and the best way to integrate these into your spa or skincare routine.
Contact our team between 8am – 5pm on +27 (0) 86 111 2580. If you prefer to email your question please use the contact us section of our site.
How do free radicals threaten skin?
Normally the body’s electrons come in pairs but some atoms and molecules exist with an unpaired electron, making them extremely unstable. Known as free radicals, these scavengers try to steal other electrons, creating a destructive chain reaction. By stealing one electron, they only further the cycle of unpaired, unstable electrons.
This electron “stealing” pattern wreaks havoc on living cells, damaging DNA and leaving your skin vulnerable to environmental stress. Pollution, car exhaust, smoking, ultraviolet rays, radiation and pesticides are all free radicals.
How can my skin fight back?
When it comes to defence, antioxidants are super-troopers. The agents of good health and great skin, antioxidants defend your cells and maintain damage control. By donating one of their own electrons, antioxidants put an end to this electron “stealing,” acting as a buffer and stabilizing free radicals.
Many antioxidants can defend your cells from environmental wear and tear. Keep your bathroom cabinet armed with these key ingredients and your skin will thank you.
- Vitamin C: Retains moisture in your skin and promotes collagen and elastin. Vitamin C protects the skin against harmful UV rays, particularly when combined with vitamin E and sunscreen.
- Vitamin E: Protects lipids-the building blocks of cell membranes. Vitamin E also offsets dryness, keeping skin smooth.
- Glutathione: Keeps your immune system in peak performance by maintaining healthy red and white blood cells. Glutathione is composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamic acid and glycine and is the most abundant antioxidant your body carries. Low levels of glutathione leave the body susceptible to damage from free radicals.
- Pomegranate: A powerful antioxidant, pomegranate contains ellagic acid, a major age-proofing agent that prevents sun damage and stimulates glutathione, writes renowned dermatologists they also explain that pomegranate naturally boosts your sunscreen’s SPF.
- Coenzyme Q10: Increases collagen and elastin in the skin and helps to protect it from sun damage. Levels of CoQ10 tend to drop in people over 30 years old. Supplements and topical creams with CoQ10 can keep your skin looking younger longer.
- Idebenone: Though its chemical make-up is similar to coenzyme Q10, idebenone might be a more powerful combatant against free radicals, making it an effective anti-aging product.
- Grape seed extract: Combats free radicals and also “reinforce[s] the structural fibers of the skin, collagen and elastin
We at Spa Brands use all of the above ingredients in our products, that is one of the reasons our products are of a very high quality